Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Ellen + Hollywood Week + Lots of Surprises from the Contestants!

One hundred and eighty-one hopefuls met in Hollywood last night at the Kodak theater. In the first few minutes we meet Ellen and she is super sweet and funny. She seems to not waver from her true personality for the show and I love that. Along with Randy, Kara, and Simon, the first day of Hollywood rounds begin. This year the contestants were put into groups of 8 and were given the opportunity to sing acapella or with an instrument. Many chose instruments and many more did not. My favorite performances of the night definitely came from those with instruments. In just a few minutes the in and outs began. I've listed below what I took away from the show as far as who's in and who's out for the next rounds.

Katie Stevens - In
Skiiboski - Out
Vanessa Wolf - Out
Andrew Garcia -In ( Loved his cover of Paula Abdul's Straight Up. Paula would've gone crazy )
Cornelius Edwards - Out
Janelle Wheeler - In
Haeley Vaughn - In (Very surprised by her voice and I like it!)
Toddrick Hall - In
Ashley Rodriguez - In
Jay Stone - Out
Justin Williams - Out
Tim Urban - In
Maddie Curtis - Out
Casey James - In ( Bluesy & adorable. What more can you ask for? He reminded me of Jonny Lang but will he be able to sing in a group and do all the other songs in later rounds)
Michael Lynche - In
Barney Dominatrix Erica Rhodes - Out
Didi Benami - In ( loved the song Terrified that she sang. She is definitely different. Kind of reminds me of last year's Brook White but with stronger vocals)
Crystal Bowersox - In
Lilly Scott - In
Lacey Brown - In
Mary Powers - In
Paige Dechausse - Out
Amanda & Bernadette Desimone - Out

Overall, I was surprised in both good and bad ways. I was hoping Vanessa Wolf would've been better but OMG she was awful.I felt so bad for her. And what about Justin Williams? Just take a moment and watch anything of him on Youtube. He is one talented guy. Yet the very weak singer Tim Urban got through?? Are they going for the younger guys this year regardless of talent to boost viewings?

My favorites of the night were Andrew Garcia, Michael Lynche, Didi Benami, Haeley Vaughn, and Casey James. I didn't see my fave, John Park, so I'm hoping he's showcased in tonight's Hollywood rounds.

Who was your favorite last night? Are you liking Ellen as the new judge?

2 comments:

Tricia said...

I thought Ellen did a great job. She had just the right amount of humor for that show - not too much, not too little...you're right she stayed true to herself. I giggled to myself when she had the row of contestants stepping forward, then backward, then to the left, then back again (and they all went through) t-hehe! My favorites of the night were Andrew Garcia and Didi Benami but I was impressed with a lot of them...and less impressed with some lol. Love this blog!

Fronge said...

Thanks for all the updated news for American Idol.