Thursday, January 19, 2012

Season 11 Opens In Savannah: A Recap

The 11th season opens with an audition from contestant David "Mr. Steal Your Girl" Leathers Jr. who sounds both like Michael Jackson and Justin Bieber.  He's cute and very young looking. He says he's 17 but I have to agree with Jennifer Lopez on him looking more like a 12 year old. This may help him if he makes it to the top 20 because Moms and Grandmas everywhere will be voting for him. ;) Me included. The judges loved him immediately and so did we. He's also from North Carolina and generally there is huge support from fans when a contestant gets in the top 20 so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens out of that.  YES to Hollywood.

Next up is Gabi Carruba. She is 15. She is not only gorgeous but has the voice to go with it.  Judges thought her voice was beautiful. We agree. YES to Hollywood.

After this the camera crew shows several guys and gals that are Hollywood bound. I didn't see any that really stood out for me. Sure they can sing but the only "It" factor of the night so far has been David Leathers Jr.

We then see a brother and sister duo. Both of them are different ( which is very welcome) but their voices are not natural. It's like they are trying desperately to be something they just aren't. But they're singing is OK. And, they both get a YES to Hollywood even though the brother didn't officially intend to audition. Or was this just a setup?

At the start of hour 2, I'm a bit bored then we see a montage of  "cryers" set to a Patsy Cline tune.  I'm still bored. At this point the boys and I got into a conversation so I think I skipped a few possible decent auditions but I'm not so sure. I did briefly see a girl contestant that lived in a tent. Jennifer Lopez called her a "hipsy". I think that's my new favorite word. ;) YES to Hollywood for her.

Nearing the end of the show we get introduced to Lauren Mink from Winchester, KY. I like her voice and I love her back story even more. I'm sure the rest of America is loving her too. She was even trending on Twitter during the time of the show. I just wished she didn't sing that song. I didn't like it and surprisingly being from Kentucky myself, I don't like country music all that much. I would have liked it better had she chosen something from Dixie Chicks and Lady Antebellum but only because I like them. However, if she makes it to the top 20 I will definitely support her all the way!  YES to Hollywood.

The evening comes to an end with guitarist/singer Philip Phillips. From his back story we just know he is going to be good and he delivers. The good news is that he is awesome and he got a YES to Hollywood but the bad news is that the last 4 winners of American Idol have been guys with three of those being guys very similar to him... David Cook, Lee Dewyze, and Kris Allen.So even though he is awesome I'm just not sure this is his year. But we can always hope and vote.

My Fave of The Night: David Leathers Jr. and Philip Phillips.
Most Potential To Win It All From Tonight: David Leathers Jr.

Who were your favorites?

No comments: