Thursday, February 16, 2012

Hollywood Week Band Solo Recap

During last night's second half of the show the remaining contestants had to perform a solo with the idol band. They didn't get any feedback until the end when they were separated into 4 different rooms. One of those room full of idol hopefuls were sent home.

Joshua Ledet - up first was this new guy, Joshua Ledet, who I haven't seen much of before. He's really good and has a strong unique voice. Awesome version of "Jar of Hearts".

Jen Hirsch - I don't remember much of her either. She sang "Georgia On My Mind". It was beautiful. But it wasn't enough for her to be one of my favorites.

Colton Dixon - When this guy first auditioned his sound was so inauthentic. Is that a word? It was like he was totally trying to be something he wasn't. Last night's solo performance of "What About Now" changed my impression of him somewhat.

Phillip Phillips - Not only is this young guy a cute Southerner, he is also multi-talented and passionate. We've known this from the beginning so his talent comes as no surprise. He sang "Wicked Games" which was great but I know he can do way better. He is the kind of contestant that you honestly look forward to seeing what he is going to do with the song given whether it's good or bad.  This year he is the guy with the guitar so if the voting  is anything like the past few years, it is very possible that he will end up as the Season 11 winner. That is unless he goes and does something completely non-mainstream. At this point that may be the best thing for him.

Creighton Fraker - He sang "What A  Wonderful World". The judges obviously love this guy. I still can't figure out why. He's OK but something about him doesn't connect with me. Also, I know this is completely irrelevant but I always think of Freddy Krueger and Justin Timberlake when I see him. Am I the only one? I'd love to see him in a red striped sweater. ;)

Reed Grimm - For some reason this guy thought he was allowed to sing acapella on "solo with the idol band night". Anyway, Reed is given a whole lot of screen time which seemed a bit fake to me. He sang "Georgia On My Mind" with drums. He's a bit interesting and irritating. Overall, I'm not sold on him yet.

Shannon Magrane - She sang "What A Wonderful World". She's 16 and has this beautiful strong voice. She reminds me of Katherine McPhee. I like her.

After the solos,very few of which were actually shown, the groups were divided up and group 3 was sent home. No surprises there.

 I would have liked to have seen Eben and Heejun's solo performance. Was there any solo you wanted to see but didn't? Who was your favorite from last night? Who do you not like? Agree or disagree with me?

No comments: